Discover the best places for kayaking and canoeing in the beautiful villages of the Dordogne, France. Plan your adventure on the Dordogne River with our comprehensive guide. Kayaks are available for rent and the river is open now for your enjoyment.
Are you planning a day trip to the Périgord in France? Don’t miss the opportunity to go kayaking in La Roque Gageac and explore the beautiful Dordogne River. While you’re there, make sure to visit the impressive Château de Beynac. It’s the perfect way to recharge your batteries and enjoy the stunning scenery of this region.
Located in the southwest of France, the Dordogne is a beautiful department known for its châteaux, picturesque villages, and the stunning Pessac river. With an area of over 9000 km2 and a population of more than 413,000 inhabitants, it is the third largest department in France. The Dordogne’s temperate climate makes it an ideal destination for outdoor holidays.
The choice of activities available to you to discover the region is immense. And if there is something to test at all costs, it is to go kayaking and canoeing in the beautiful villages of the Dordogne. Indeed, the department has 5 rivers: the Dordogne, the Vézère, the Isle, the Dronne and the Auvézère … So there is plenty of kayaking and canoeing tours open now for you to enjoy.
Here is our selection of sites where to kayak or canoe in the Dordogne, along the different rivers of the region. Whether you prefer the scenic beauty of La Roque-Gageac or the historical charm of Château de Beynac, these sites are open now for your kayaking or canoeing adventures.
You may be interested to read :
Canoeing on the Dordogne
Are you looking for where to go kayaking or canoeing in the Dordogne? On the Dordogne, of course, it seems obvious! The Dordogne is a calm river, which originates in puy de Sancy, crosses the entire department, and joins the Garonne. La Roque Gageac is a great spot for kayaking and canoeing. It is open now and offers stunning views of the château.
Course availability ranges from 1 h 30 to 4 h 30. For more details, please contact us for booking.
Period: April to October
Embark on a fantastic canoe trip on the Dordogne river, starting from either Girac or Carennac. Choose between 9, 15, or 25 km routes and enjoy the breathtaking view of the château as you paddle towards the charming village of Montvalent. Bring your friends or family for an unforgettable day in this idyllic setting. Don’t forget to check out our trip notes for more information.
Duration of the Dordogne River course: 1 h 30 for the descent “St Ju” and 3 hours for the descent “le Roc”. Dordogne select accommodation type canoeing passengers can view trip notes for more information.
Period: April to October
Let’s go for the discovery descent on the Dordogne River, “St Ju,” 5km long, or the descent “the rock,” which is 15 km. During 1h30 or 3h, depending on your choice, you will advance in the middle of fabulous landscapes and exceptional fauna and flora. The small course is ideal for initiation or for a quiet moment with children. If you want a little more sporty, choose “the rock.” Don’t forget to view trip notes for more information on Dordogne select accommodation type canoeing.
Duration of the course: half a day
Period: April to October
Here, two ideal routes for kayaking and canoeing on the Dordogne river are available to you. A 12 km course starting from Cénac, and the other 20 km from Vitrac, both arriving in Beynac. Throughout the route, you can see the Roque-Gageac, the castle of Marqueyssac, Fayrac, and finally, Castelnaud. These places offer beautiful opportunities for kayaking and canoeing enthusiasts.
Canoeing on the Vézère
If there is one essential river to go kayaking or canoeing in the Dordogne, it is the Vézère. Along the water and at your own pace, you can admire the valley of prehistory, the castles of Losse or Belcayre, the troglodyte villages of Roque Saint-Christophe or Madeleine or prehistoric shelters. The Vézère is discovered at its own pace, from Montignac to Limeuil, considered one of the most beautiful places in France. You will also pass by Les Eyzies de Tayac, the world capital of Prehistory. View trip notes for more information.
Here we have selected four places that are open now and will make you happy if you are looking for where to kayak or canoe on the river in the Dordogne.
Course availability can be booked for durations of 1h30, 2h30, 4h, or 5h. For more information, please contact us. Don’t forget to check out our reviews before booking.
Period: April to the end of September
1h30, 2h30, 4h, 5h…? Make your choice and book your preferred time slot for availability. Contact us to secure your booking and provide the number of passengers.
- Discover the beautiful 9km course, named “le Marzac”, ideal perhaps for the first time by canoe. Here the river is wide and the few rapids are safe. Canoeing enthusiasts can select their preferred accommodation type in Dordogne and enjoy canoeing and kayaking activities. The canoeing trips are open now, and participants can view trip notes for more details.
- The “La St-Christophe” route in Dordogne is a 13km stretch, starting at La Roque St Christophe, which offers a stunning view of the largest troglodyte site in Europe. This canoeing and kayaking trip takes approximately 2h30 and allows you to admire the footprints left by prehistoric man under the large cliffs of the Ruth. For more information, view trip notes on Tripadvisor for this select accommodation type.
- “La St-Léon sur Vézère” is a 19km course in the Dordogne region, known for its beautiful villages and stunning river views. Select your accommodation type and get ready for an exciting adventure of canoeing and kayaking. For more information, view trip notes.
- Finally, for the bravest adventurers looking for a memorable moment in Dordogne, we recommend discovering the course of the “3 castles” with a 26km long trip along the river. With an estimated duration of about 5 hours, this canoeing experience offers breathtaking views of typical villages, cliffs, and troglodyte sites. To plan your trip, make sure to view the trip notes on TripAdvisor for selecting the right accommodation type and get ready for an unforgettable adventure.
Canoeing on the Isle
Have you heard of the “river of golden glitter” in Dordogne? It is actually the Isle that it is. This river is composed of gorges upstream, towards Jumilhac, crosses Périgueux, and then calms down when it meets the Auvézère. If you’re planning a canoeing trip in Dordogne, consider selecting your accommodation type through TripAdvisor. For availability and more information, contact us.
If you want to go canoeing on the Dordogne river, the descent of the banks of the Isle, where mills and picturesque villages follow one another, is a moment of pure happiness guaranteed. Booking your trip on TripAdvisor ensures a smooth experience for all passengers.
Course availability ranges from 1 hour to 6 hours and 30 minutes. For booking or to contact us, please reach out. The course is priced at USD.
Period: June 15 to September 15
Several bases in the Dordogne offer canoe rentals, ranging from hourly rentals to the whole day. Here too, different courses are proposed for booking, in order to best meet your expectations. Select your accommodation type and check availability to enjoy canoeing on the river.
To start your canoeing adventure in the Dordogne, select your preferred accommodation type and contact us to view trip notes. You have the option to rent a canoe for 1 hour near our base or choose from various river routes. These routes include the 4km course of “Pont Cassé,” the 9km “Moulin du Duella,” the 14km “Fournils,” or the 20km “Chapelle St Martin.” Whichever route you choose, you’ll enjoy a pleasant day on the water, navigating through rapids and along the banks of the Isle.
Canoeing on the Dronne
To go canoeing in the Dordogne, go to the Dronne. This river will make you discover all along, several castles such as Saint-Front, Pommier, Vaugoubert, or Bourdeilles, but also pretty authentic villages like Brantôme or Bourdeilles.
6. Fountain of Love
Course availability: 2h or 4h30. Contact us for booking and to inquire about the number of passengers.
Period: July and August
From Fontaines d’amours, two courses are offered for canoeing in the Dordogne. A short 2-hour trip covering about 8 km will take you to the base of Brantôme. This course with a “slide” is fun, easy, and pleasant. If you prefer a longer adventure, you can continue to Bourdeilles for the 18km course. Expect 4h30 of dams, rapids, and slides, surrounded by the castles and mills of the region. To book and view trip notes, select your accommodation type.
Canoeing on the Auvézère
Are you a fan of rapids and looking for where to go canoeing in the Dordogne? Look no further than TripAdvisor for the best accommodation options and booking services. This is where it happens! Indeed, this river alternates white water and calm water to seduce passengers along its course, all profiles and all levels.
7. Cherveix Cubas
Course availability: 1h, 3h or 4h30. Contact us for booking. Prices in USD.
Period: July and August
Here, in the beautiful Dordogne region, you can select your preferred accommodation type for a memorable canoeing experience. Choose from 1-hour, 3-hour, or 4.5-hour trips along the river and immerse yourself in the breathtaking views of the Auvézère valley. Starting from Cherveix-Cubas, you have the option to explore up to Guimalet or Cubas. Opt for the 3-hour route to reach Tourtoirac or extend your adventure with the 4.5-hour trip to St Eulalie d’Ans. For more details, view our trip notes on TripAdvisor.
Duration of the course: 6km and 10km
Period: July and August
To go canoeing on the Dordogne river, Camping de l’Ilot is a recommended option. Here, you can book a trip of either the small 6km or the larger 10km course. The small course starts in Ste Eulalie d’Ans, while the larger course begins in St Pantaly d’Ans. During this river descent, you will experience a scenic rural environment with meadows, fields, woods, mills, castles, and Perigord properties. It’s a great choice for accommodation and activities according to TripAdvisor reviews.
Rates and practical information
What are the prices for canoeing in the Dordogne? Here is an idea of the rates charged. For more information on prices, availability, and booking, you can visit TripAdvisor or contact us directly.
The rates oscillate between 5 USD and 30 USD, depending on the duration of the course. For booking and availability, please contact us.
- 5km: about 5€ per person
- 10km: about 15€ per person
- 15 km: about 20€ per person
- Waterproof canister: 2€
- Canoeing reservation: you can easily book the canoeing activity on the website of the canoe kayak bases in the Dordogne. Check availability and book through TripAdvisor.
- Equipment: Bring a swimsuit, closed shoes, water, a cap, sunscreen, sunglasses, and make sure to check the availability and book your trip through TripAdvisor. Don’t forget to contact us for more information.
- Accessibility: there is availability of courses adapted to all levels and for all ages, but most often, all courses are accessible to beginners. This can vary depending on the amount of rain that falls as well. For more information or to book, please contact us for assistance. In Dordogne, you can select your preferred accommodation type and enjoy activities such as canoeing.
- If you have never practiced canoeing and need assistance, start slowly with short distances! Do not hesitate to contact the centers for more information on the courses and booking options available for passengers.
I hope you find the article “best places to go canoeing in the Dordogne” helpful.